Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year!!

It's hard to believe that 2007 is now over....and what a year it has been! I have never been much of a resolution type of person, but more the type to look back over the year to see how it went. 2007 started out the same way it ended....with a run!

2007 was sort of a turning point for me. It was a time to re-discover myself and who I am as a person. Running played a huge part of that discovery. Training for and running my first marathon was a way for me to show myself and the world that I was strong enough to do something so physically and emotionally demanding. I know most of the world didn't care that I ran 26.2 miles, but it was my way of rubbing it in the faces of everyone who ever told me I couldn't do something.

From those experiences, I fell in love with a sport that has come to be a major part of my life and who I am as a person. Spending all those miles with just me and my legs gave me plenty of time to think....about anything and everything. Sometimes my runs would be philosophical and on others I would completely space out. Sometimes I would think about my family and how proud they are of me and other times I would think about me and how proud I am of me.

People are often amazed that I devote so much of my precious free time to marathon training. But the fact is, running and training for marathons makes me a better person, friend, wife, worker, everything. I am happier when I run, I am more confident when I run and to me that's worth it. Running has made me appreciate my body for the first time in 27 years instead of criticizing it for its minor flaws. Running has introduced me to many great friends that I would not have otherwise met. I owe a lot of who I am today to running and I don't plan to stop anytime soon!

I am excited to see what 2008 holds for me and for all you other runners and non-runners reading this. Some people have told me that my blog and experiences have helped to motivate them to get into exercising....YAY!!!! Keep at it and your body and mind will appreciate it! Life is too short to spend it on the couch.....as fellow blogger SillyLillie says "Get out there and run already!!"

Total miles for the year = 1,533! (That's like running from Boston to Tulsa, Oklahoma!!!)

Here's to 2008...more miles, more marathons, and more memories!

3 comments:

Maria said...

What a year - great job Sarah!!!! I love forward to swapping many more running tales w/you in '08.

Maria

Steph said...

Sarah,

I couldn't have put it better myself! Can't wait to view Spirit with you on the 24th-bring the tissues sistah!

Steph

Janette said...

1500 miles! Awesome job! Do you ever sit down? :)

I wish I could be at the movie with you guys in a couple weeks. I am so sad to miss it. My fingers are crossed that they show it again or put it out on DVD.