Monday, September 17, 2007

Pity Party

Sorry I didn't get the invites out to you on time, but Friday night I hosted a little pity party for myself. Last week's runs went okay....some good and some bad. I decided to only run 4 days rather than 5 to ease back into it. My calves and shins held up fine, but it was my heart and head that were bothering me. I've been really anxious and not looking forward to my runs because I don't know how they are going to feel....one day everything would be great and the next day would be rough. I couldn't get excited for my long run because I was nervous about how it would go.

On Friday night, I was looking for any excuse not to run on Saturday morning. The weather forecast was predicting rain and I decided to push the long run until Sunday.....until dinner time rolled around. Every Friday night for the past 15 weeks I have eaten pasta in preparation for my long run and now I didn't know what to eat. Then I realized that I have never skipped a run because of weather.....why should this be any different? Pushing it back a day would prolong the anxiety so I put on a pot of boiling water and made my pasta.

Sure enough it was drizzling when I woke up Saturday. I got ready like I always do and set out for 17 miles. As I was running, I was focusing so much on keeping a decent pace.....I was miserable and getting frustrated. After a couple miles and seriously thinking about calling it quits, I thought to myself "this isn't fun and why should I do something for almost 3 hours on a Saturday morning if I'm not enjoying it??" I decided at that point to forget about my pace and just run.......once I did that, I started having fun!! The rain beat down, I had to maneuvere past a couple thousand walkers for a charity 10k walk, but I had fun. Bryan met me for the last 4 miles and we got wet running together. No, it wasn't a fast run (averaged 9:25 pace) but what's the point of doing anything if it isn't fun?

So sorry again for not inviting you to my pity party :) Next time I will try to do something a little more up beat!

1 comment:

GB said...

Hey, for letting go of the pace, that was a great long run! You're right anyway. Why do something that takes so much energy if you're not going to enjoy ANY of it? Not worth it. Better to compromise a little and keep the love! Great job.