Monday, September 10, 2007

Five whole days off!

I held true to my word and took the rest of last week completely off....no running, no crosstraining, no weights...nothing. I iced my calves multiple times a day, massaged them myself, and took lots of Advil.

On Thursday morning I got an extremely painful deep tissue massage....60 minutes of torture focused solely on my calves! I swear that she was using her elbow to push as hard as humanly possible on my muscles......and I pay her money for this?!?!?

I went on Saturday to Marathon Sports to talk with the people there about my problems and my shoes, but they couldn't find any reason for my pain. I got sad because they wanted to watch me run to make sure my gait hadn't changed and just running up the block made my calf tighten up again. They said to be really vigilant with my stretching and I should be okay.

So Sunday Bryan and I went out for an easy 3.5 miles just to see how I was feeling. My calf was tight, but not as bad as it had been last week. It hurt more to run slow and hurt the most once I stopped running and cooled down. I went home and stretched it really well and then iced it.

I plan to start back up with my real training today so we'll see how it goes. I hope that I can get through the next 5 weeks strong and in as little pain as possible. Unfortunately, to run pain free means subjecting myself to weekly torture sessions with my massage lady and her unforgiving elbow!!

1 comment:

GB said...

Sarah, I'm sure I missed it somewhere on your blog but what is wrong with your calves? Did you get a diagnosis? I hope you're feeling okay now. Sometimes rest is the best rehab! Crossing my fingers that you're okay. :)