Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Executive Decision

I am a beach person.  I grew up in New Jersey and went down the shore (no, I don't speak or look like Snooki).  My entire mom's side of the family always spent a week together at the beach every summer.  Living in Boston, we'd go to the Cape, Martha's Vineyard, or up to Crane's Beach on the north shore. 

Living in SLC is the farthest I've been to a beach (the stinky Great Salt Lake does not count).  From pretty much the day we decided to move here, I started planning a trip to Hawaii for this fall.  Our reasons being (1) we are a shorter plane ride since we'd be coming from the west coast, (2) we celebrated our 5 year anniversary earlier this spring, (3) I need to feel the sand between my toes in order to deal with the snow we will be getting this winter, and (4) it's Hawaii, do I really need any other reasons?!?!  We bought some travel books for the islands we want to visit (Maui and Kauai) and started planning what week we should request off from work to go.

Well, the other night over dinner on our patio, I made the executive decision not to go.  I do say that "I" made the decision because Bryan would do whatever would make me happy so ultimately it was my call.  It all started because we were talking about all the places we want to visit while living here.  In southern UT there's Arches, Zion, Canyonlands National Parks, just to name a few.  And then there's the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone and we talk about a weekend in Sonoma or Las Vegas or Sedona.  And all the hiking and camping we want to do around SLC.  And....well, I think you get the point.  


We started to realize that there were more trips we wanted to do than our vacation days and our bank account would permit.  That's when we decided to put off Hawaii for a year.  Hawaii will always be a long flight away, but most of these other places are just a couple hours drive.  Plus we wouldn't have to take an entire week off to visit them so we could probably get to more places with the vacation days (and $$) we have.    


So the Hawaii books went back on the shelf until next year.  I'm not giving up on reason #3 listed above...southern California is just a short cheap flight away! 

3 comments:

Dad said...

Summer vacations at the NJ shore--so many memories! Perhaps we can start another tradition in the years ahead!

Enjoy all the places to explore in Utah and neighboring states, and let us know if you find some special sites we might want to see.

Dad

Sarah said...

Dad - If your tradition involves bringing us all to Hawaii then I'm definitely in :)

Maria said...

Go explore St. George and Zion and consider it recon for when we both get into the marathon next year ;)

BTW, my little sis #2 announced she's moving to Hawaii next year around this time - I'm already planning that trip!