Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A close call

Let me start by saying that I am usually very cautious when I run. I try to keep my eye out for cars coming down side roads and even those coming toward me knowing that drivers don't always see runners. Today I found out what happens when you let your guard down in a busy area......

I was on my way home from a 14 mile medium-long run today and was about 0.75 miles away from my house. By most accounts the run had gone fine....my asthma and allergies were bothering me some, but overall the run was going well. I got stuck at a couple lights right in a row and I was anxious to finish up and get home. I was running along an island that separated the lanes of traffic watching for an opportunity to cross the street. The cars coming at me had a red light and a car stopped and motioned to me to cross. I started across the street not realizing there was a second lane of cars coming toward me that did not know of my presences or that I had been motioned to cross. I looked up to see a green mini van coming at me with no intention to stop and I had no where to go. He slammed on his brakes and I tried to jump out of the way. Luckily he stopped just in time as my hands hit the hood of his car and his bumper lightly tapped my right knee. I think we both were in shock knowing that we were seconds away from full impact and me going flying. I apologized though his open window and quickly got out of the street. Ironically enough this happened right in front of a hospital so I would have been in good hands if in fact I had gotten hit hard! Physically I was fine, but I was so shaken up by the incident that I ran home almost hyperventilating. I kept thinking "how did this happen? I am usually so careful about cars!" I walked in the house and burst into tears when telling Bryan what happened.

Again....I am 100% fine. I'm thankful that God was watching out for me today because it could have been so much worse. I am lucky that I just had a close call today and learned that I can't let my guard down even when I am close to home and just want to finish. Don't they always say the majority of car crashes happen within 1 mile of your house?? Maybe they are right!

Be careful out there people!

3 comments:

skydiving in stilettos said...

PHew! Scary! So glad you're okay!

Maria said...

Eeeks gads, that's supa scary!!! It's easy to let your guard down some at the end of a run ...I'm glad you're OK!!

Steph said...

Moral of this story; beware of minivans.