Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Has anyone seen my endurance??

Hello....endurance....are you out there?? I think I need to take out a missing persons report because my endurance is gone....missing!! It's both amazing and frustrating that we spend months at a time building up our endurance and training to run 26.2 miles. Days, weeks, months are dedicated to making us stronger and faster.....then in a matter of 4 weeks, its gone...poof!

I haven't run any real distances since VT a month ago so this weekend I decided to get in a 10 miler before officially starting to train. I set out on Sunday morning by myself and was greeted by humid but overcast skies which cleared up halfway into my run to make for some hot and sunny conditions. I couldn't believe how hard this run felt.....I mean, I eat 10 mile runs for breakfast and I was slugging along during this one at a pace I am almost ashamed to write??? What happened to all those months of training I did this winter?

Granted I probably wasn't properly hydrated or fueled. My diet on Friday consisted of a margarita and chips after work followed by a "platter of fried goodies" and beer while watching the Sox game........on Saturday more strawberries than any one person should consume (we went strawberry picking) and then out to dinner with friends where I had a burger with a glass of wine and some baklava. Not exactly proper running nutrition!!

So if you see my endurance wondering around aimlessly, please be so kind as to return it ASAP. It's probably hiding somewhere along with my speed, which I could also use back :)

1 comment:

skydiving in stilettos said...

don't be too concerned. the first half mile (and remaining 4 1/2) were entirely painful for me and my race on Sunday too. and I'm used to 8 and 9 milers on the weekends. it was the fog and humidity (and probably the dehydration)... you'll do much better when the weather is a bit more tolerable.

good luck!