Wednesday, July 9, 2008

First Official Week of Training

Last week was my first official week of training for the Hartford Marathon. I plan to follow a modified Pfitzinger program that will be 15 weeks peaking around 60-65 MPW. During my time off from training, I looked back on my last training cycle and determined things that worked well and things that I thought I could improve upon. That's where I came up with my current schedule......more emphasis on my weaknesses (lactate threshold) and less emphasis on my strengths (VO2 max).

So this first week of training was still sort of a transition.....moderate miles with no real quality work. I had to shift things around a bit (its only week 1 and I'm already changing my plan!) due to the 4th of July holiday and weekend plans.

Monday: 3.5 mile recovery + 75 minutes of yoga
Tuesday: 7.85 mile general aerobic
Wednesday: 50 minute bike ride
Thursday: 5.1 mile recovery
Friday: 13 mile medium long run
Saturday: 4.4 mile recovery

I did my long run with John on Friday since we had the day off. It was cooler, but still extremely humid. It was on okay run....I covered the distance and my pace wasn't too bad given the conditions. It was sort of a role reversal though....usually I am the one chatting his ear off while he silently listens. This time I was the one huffing and puffing while John was yapping away :)

Total Weekly Miles = 34

3 comments:

Janette said...

Looks like you found your endurance! :) Can't wait to run together Sunday!

Steph said...

Are you doing the Lululemon shorts? I'm headed there today. Looks like a good plan-be sure to include Steph's post workout drink-Ketel One vodka and grapefruit juice!

Maria said...

Way to get back into it!!