Saturday, March 31, 2007

Last Week Before Taper

My legs are feeling really heavy this week! Although the 20 miler went well last Saturday, I think the effects on my muscles are still being felt. After taking it easy on Sunday and Monday (took 2 yoga classes, did a little cross training, and ran 3 easy recovery miles), I still managed to run 34 miles this week including a 6 mile pace run and 8 miles of hills on Comm Ave. I also treated myself to a sports massage that turned out to be more painful than relaxing.....she really worked on my legs!

With all this put together, I was not looking forward to my 12 mile run with the team this morning. All week I kept thinking that it would be easy after running 20.5 miles last weekend. I didn't sleep well on Friday night so when my alarm went off at 6:30am I struggled to get out of bed. Fortunately, I was not the only one that was sluggish from last week as many of my teammates were equally unenthusiastic about this run. But it was a beautiful day so we headed out.

It wasn't the best run, but given the circumstances I was happy with it. My hip and calf felt really sore as soon as I stopped running so I have been icing them on and off today. Being this close to Marathon Monday, I get nervous with every new ache or twinge I feel in my body......luckily I have these next two taper weeks to get strong again. Tomorrow Bryan and I are heading up to Killington for a couple days to get some spring skiing in. I am looking forward to getting away for a bit, but I'm a little nervous to ski this close to the big day. In 15 years of skiing I have yet to hurt myself (knocking on wood)!!

16 more days.......getting close!

No comments: